This summer’s heat and humidity are demanding long, hard hours from your air conditioning system. The end may be in sight, but your air-conditioning system still has to make it all the way to the finish line. T. F. O’Brien has a few operational tips you can use to make sure your air conditioning system continues keeping you comfortable and saving you money for the rest of the season.
- Keep your air filter fresh. It’s a good idea to check your air-conditioning system’s filter monthly to ensure it doesn’t become too clogged with dust and other contaminants. A filthy, clogged filter causes more trouble than just reduced indoor air quality. It can decrease airflow through your equipment, raise operating costs, and even make it dangerous to run your system.
- Keep your outdoor unit clean. The condenser unit on the outside of your building can become littered with twigs, leaves and grass clippings. Carefully remove debris, and don’t hesitate to rinse the unit with the garden hose when you’re watering the garden. You’ll rinse away dirt and facilitate airflow.
- Turn on your fans. Ceiling fans can be especially helpful when it comes to increasing the performance of your air conditioning system. They keep conditioned air circulating longer to ease stress on your cooling unit, and keep you comfortable with a nice indoor breeze that lifts moisture and heat from your skin.
- Keep up with preventive maintenance. Regular, annual maintenance is the best way you can give back to your air conditioner. Making sure it’s clean and tuned-up twice a year not only keeps your system efficient, but can catch small problems before they get out of hand, and can even increase the overall lifespan of the equipment.
- Close your blinds. Decrease the amount of solar energy your home absorbs by keeping blinds and curtains drawn during the day, especially on the south and west sides of your home.
Call T.F. O’Brien to schedule maintenance and learn more about how to keep your system operating efficiently through the rest of the Long Island summer.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioning maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
T.F. O’Brien services the Long Island, New York area. Visit our website to see our special offers to get started today!