When you own a summer home, you own a little slice of rest and relaxation that you can call your own. Summer homes provide a perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of the real world, but you should know that in order to make the most of your vacation home, you’ll need to put some time and money into it. Here are a few tips to help you open up your summer home for the season now, so that you and your family can enjoy the warmer months ahead.
- Check out your property for any big jobs that may need to be done. Do you need to paint? Stain decking and porches? Repair any windows, doors or roofing? Handle the bigger tasks at hand first, and right away so that they don’t grow into larger problems.
- Have your utilities turned on. You’ll have some cleaning and restocking to do on the inside, so you’ll want to make sure you have access to electricity and running water. Clean your kitchen and baths, and get your fridge stocked with the necessities.
- Groom the outside. That means clearing your walkways and your driveway, mowing, trimming shrubbery and hedges, getting your outdoor furniture clean and set up, and weeding and gardening, if you have flower or vegetable beds.
- Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in good working order. Check your HVAC system for any needed maintenance or repairs – you can call us and we’ll be happy to help you.
- Check for vermin or insect invasion. If you see any sign of it, you’ll want to get an exterminator in there before you and your family’s first vacation home getaway of the season!
- Consider installing a smart thermostat. That way, you can regulate the indoor climate of your vacation home, as well as monitor for any issues your system might be having, either via telephone or online. Ask us about our smart thermostats and how one can help you make the most of your summer home.
Enjoying your summer home can be easy, as long as you take a few measures to prepare it in advance. For help with your vacation home’s comfort system, rely on T.F. O’Brien to help. Just give us a call at 516.488.1800, and we’ll be happy to assist you.