As you know, our Shamrock Sale is going on right now, and that can help you get into a new high efficiency system. With this sale, you’ll be able to save money – but is there any other benefit to choosing high efficiency equipment? ENERGY STAR, a branch of the U.S. Department of Energy, says yes, and gives a few reasons why switching is a great choice.
Your home will be more energy-efficient. Of course, this seems like a given, considering we’re talking about high-efficiency equipment. But you might be surprised at just how much more efficient it will be. An AC system installed in the 1990s, for instance, is about 50 percent less efficient than today’s air conditioning. That’s a pretty big deal.
You’ll save money on your energy bills. Who doesn’t want to see their utility bills decrease? Most people who choose to have high-efficiency air conditioning properly installed in their homes by qualified technicians can enjoy savings on energy bills, even during the hottest months of summer.
You’ll help the planet. When you use less energy, you also help prevent carbon pollution are help to reduce other greenhouse gases from being emitted into the atmosphere. On top of that, modern air conditioning systems use a much more efficient and environmentally sound form of refrigerant that does not harm the ozone layer.
You can save even more energy. Modern air conditioners are already more efficient than their predecessors. But high-efficiency, ENERGY STAR-qualified systems can save you even more – up to 15 percent! Imagine your energy savings – and utility bill savings – on a system that could be 65 percent more efficient than the one you currently own.
You can save thousands when you make the change now. Yes, you heard that right – thousands. With our Shamrock Sale, you can save $3,192 on a new, high-efficiency system. Not only will you get great rebates on select systems, but you’ll also be eligible to receive both a free humidifier and a free Wi-Fi thermostat with a complete high-efficiency system installation.
When you combine our offer with special financing (with approved credit), you have a great deal. And, this is our best offer this year – but you have to act quickly. Once St. Patrick’s Day arrives, this pot of gold disappears! Our Shamrock Sale ends on March 17, 2018. To take advantage of this great opportunity – and enjoy a more energy-efficient home, call T. F. O’Brien today at 516.488.1800.
The winter weather always makes us think about ways we can save some energy – usually when we get those utility bills. We all know saving energy helps to save us money, but it can also save the planet, too. Luckily, saving energy is as easy as following these seven tips:
Your Whole House
- Seal doors and windows that leak. Weather-stripping, caulk, and foam sealant can all help keep conditioned air in – and cold or hot air out.
- Choose a smart thermostat. These thermostats give you greater control over heating and cooling your home. Forgot to set your thermostat to “away” temperatures? With a smart thermostat, that’s not a problem, as you can log in remotely from your phone or computer.
- Make use of your ceiling fans. In the summer, set your fan counterclockwise to create a cooler feel to the air, and in the winter, reverse to clockwise to push the warm air down from the ceiling and back into your living space.
In the Kitchen
- If you use a dishwasher, let your dishes air dry rather than using the dishwasher’s drying setting.
- Cover your pots and pans when you cook, and choose the appropriately sized heating element for the pan. Forgo the stove altogether and use toaster ovens or the microwave for small meals.
- Replace your old bulbs with LEDs, and use daylight whenever you can to illuminate your home. And, take the LEDs outside, too, for your pathway and porch lights.
- Unplug battery chargers when not in use. Consider using power strips that keep electronics from drawing power when not in use.
You can find even more ways to save by checking out the Department of Energy’s Energy Saver Guide. And, if you’d like to know how choosing the right home comfort equipment can help you save, too, simply call T.F. O’Brien at 516.488.1800 and we’ll be glad to help.
According to the Department of Energy, heating one’s home is the largest energy expense for most homeowners in the U.S. But with advances in technology, heat pumps can now be used in the cooler climate of the Northeast – and they can save you money.
The Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships offers that a heat pump system can save consumers more than $400 annual compared to an electric system, and more than $900 when replacing an oil system. There are different models to choose from, including both ductless and ducted systems. We can help you choose the best one for your home and your comfort needs.
Another heat pump system benefit is, they can also be used in warm weather for air conditioning. As a result, they can be an ideal solution for all your home comfort needs. They’re made to heat and cool your home appropriately, at a price that works with your budget.
T.F. O’Brien can help you get the heat pump you need.
At T.F. O’Brien, our heat pumps are high quality and are from the best home comfort brands in the business. And, you’ll be glad to know that our heat pumps are environmentally sound. They’ve achieved an Energy Star rating and using non ozone-depleting refrigerant. To find out more about installing a heat pump in your home, visit our heat pump page or give us a call at 516.488.1800 and we’ll be glad to help.
When it’s bitter cold outside, you rely on your heating system to stay warm. If you have pets, they probably appreciate your heating system too! Cats and dogs experience the cold weather much in the same way as people do. But, there are a few precautions you should take to ensure your pet is as safe as possible during the cold. The ASPCA offers some safety tips that will help your pet stay comfy, cozy and healthy this winter.
Nine Tips to Ensure Pet Safety this Winter
- Walking your dog is necessary, even in the chilliest weather. But that can lead to itchy, flaky skin. Having a home humidifier can help, as well as making sure you towel-dry your pet’s coat – and especially their feet!
- Keep grooming to a minimum. Of course, brush your pet, bathe them when necessary, and if needed, keep them neatly trimmed. But reserve close haircuts for the summer months. If your dog is short-haired, a coat or sweater can help keep them warm during trips outdoors.
- As mentioned above, bathe only when needed. If your pet must be bathed, choose a pet shampoo and conditioner specially formulated to moisturize.
- Always make sure your pet’s paws are in healthy condition. Ice, snow and melting agents can affect your pet’s foot pads. After each walk, make sure to clean their feet and check for any cracks or redness.
- Give your furry friend a “pet-icure.” Massage petroleum jelly or pad protectant into your pet’s feet. This helps them stay moisturized and acts as a barrier between harmful salt and chemicals. To further protect your pet, consider outfitting them in booties for outdoor adventures, and choose a pet-friendly ice melt for use at your home.
- Be aware of antifreeze spills. Unfortunately, animals are drawn to the taste of antifreeze, and it is lethal. Clean up any spills as soon as you notice them.
- Giving your pet extra food or snacks in the winter won’t make them gain weight – in fact, it’s good for them to indulge in a little extra. That’s because animals expend a lot of energy staying warm in the winter. Make sure your pet stays hydrated, too!
- Keep sleeping spaces warm and cozy, away from cold and drafts. They love a nice, warm pet bed with an extra blanket or pillow.
- If it’s too cold for you outside, it’s too cold for your pet. Just like people, animals can suffer from hypothermia and frostbite. And, like cars become ovens in the summer, they become refrigerators in the winter. It’s best to keep your pet home during cold weather, and they definitely should not be left in a vehicle.
T.F. O’Brien can keep you – and your pets – warm all winter long.
At T.F. O’Brien, we’re dedicated to keeping your home comfy, cozy and safe for both you and your furry companions. If you need help with home heating this winter, give us a call at 516.488.1800, and we’ll be happy to keep Fido, Fluffy and the whole family comfortable, no matter how cold it gets outside!
This is the time of year for festivities, food, family… and freezing temperatures. Unfortunately, the colder it gets outside, the more we need to use our heating system. And the harder our heating systems work, the greater chance for a breakdown. Luckily, you don’t have to let a broken down furnace or boiler be the grinch that steals your holiday cheer. Just rely on the folks at T.F. O’Brien to help you get the repair services you need.
We know there’s no good time for a heating system breakdown. But when your house is full of nieces, nephews and your great-aunt Bethany, a furnace or boiler failure is even worse. You don’t want to spend the holiday huddled in your living room in your winter outerwear – and you don’t have to. We offer exceptional repair service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – even on holidays.
T.F. O’Brien offers emergency services on most makes and models of heating systems.
Our technicians are highly skilled in furnace and boiler repair. They have the qualifications to repair most makes and models of equipment. As a result, your heating system concern will be remedied correctly. You and your family will be sipping your eggnog in comfort in no time flat! And while it may not seem very shiny or glamorous, you can always give a gift that keeps on giving – a seasonal maintenance contract from T.F. O’Brien.
When you have a seasonal maintenance contract with us, an emergency repair situation is far less likely. That’s because our technicians will thoroughly inspect and maintain your equipment before winter starts. They’ll make sure any problems are addressed right away. That way, small concerns are taken care of before they become large – and potentially expensive – repairs. Not to mention, if you do experience a furnace or boiler breakdown, you’ll receive priority service. That saves you from having too much of a wait in a chilly house with a bevy of cold, complaining relatives – and isn’t that well worth it?
Trust T.F. O’Brien with your emergency heating repair needs.
Don’t be left out in the cold this holiday season – count on us to help you stay warm no matter how frightful the weather outside may get. When you need heating repair in Long Island, T.F. O’Brien is ready to assist you. T.F. O’Brien proudly serves all of Long Island, including Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Brooklyn. Just give us a call at 516.488.1800.
The holiday season is the most wonderful time of the year, but let’s face it – it can also be the most expensive. Not only are you buying gifts, traveling, entertaining and decorating, but you’re heating system is likely running steadily – and that can up your utility bills. Luckily, there are a few ways you can conserve energy in the winter that will help you save on your energy bills.
Check out these energy saving tips from the Dept. of Energy:
- Open the drapes of your south-facing windows during the day to take advantage of the sun’s warming rays.
- If you have window drafts, weatherize them. And, replace airy summer curtains with heavier drapes.
- Layer up with warmer clothing, and turn the thermostat down as low as is comfortable. Set the thermostat back when you aren’t at home and during sleeping hours.
- Seal up places around your home where cold air could be sneaking in, like around pipes and chimney gaps.
- Turn down the temperature of your hot water heater to the warm setting, around 120ºF.
- Stringing up lights this holiday season? Choose LED decorative lights to help reduce energy usage.
- Keep your heating system in shape. Get your seasonal maintenance from us, and change your filter regularly.
Taking these measures can help your winter home become much more efficient and can help you reduce the cost of energy in your home. If you’d like to learn more about energy efficiency, T.F. O’Brien can assist you. From smart thermostats to high-efficiency heating equipment, we want to help you make your home its efficient best. Just give us a call at 516.488.1800 and we’ll be happy to help.