If you’re thinking about upgrading your air conditioner this summer, you should be familiar with Manual J.
Though sometimes overlooked by some HVAC technicians, this sizing tool is the key to ensuring that your new equipment will run efficiently and effectively. By taking a few moments to learn about this sizing option, you’ll understand why it’s so important that you insist upon it during installation.
Manual J calculates your precise needs
When discussing an A/C upgrade with your contractor, be sure to pay attention to how they set about finding the right system for your needs. If the contractor speaks in generalizations or appears to be doing guesswork, run the other way. A true professional will utilize a load calculation tool known as Manual J in order to calculate your home’s specific sensible and latent cooling loads. In doing so, your contractor will be able to help you select and install a cooling system that will keep you cool and dry, while maximizing efficiency.
When performing load calculations, your contractor will consider a variety of factors, including:
- Square footage of your home
- Home’s orientation
- Number of windows and their locations
- Local climate
- Current level of insulation
- Number of household occupants
- Any heat-producing appliances
Manual J yields numerous benefits
Three key benefits of a professional load calculation include:
- Maximized efficiency – Properly sized systems run more efficiently than oversized air conditioners, which tend to cycle on and off frequently. Ultimately, this will lower your energy spending.
- Improved comfort – Because oversized systems continuously go through short on/off cycles, they’re unable to properly dehumidify a space. This leads to clammy conditions and excess moisture in the air. Correct sizing can eliminate these problems.
- Better air quality – Poor dehumidification not only makes it difficult to breathe, but it can also lead to the growth of mold and mildew. Again, this can be avoided when air conditioners are selected after a professional load calculation has been conducted.
To learn more about Manual J or to schedule a professional load calculation, contact the professionals at T.F. O’Brien Cooling & Heating. We proudly serve residents of Long Island and its surrounding areas.
Image via Shutterstock.com