If you or someone in your family suffers from fall allergies, you know how uncomfortable a time it can be. Itchy noses, watery eyes, and stuffy sinuses can make the autumn season unpleasant for some. Unfortunately, it can be hard to find relief even in your own home, as pollen and mold can enter on your shoes, clothing and through open windows. The good news? There are ways to improve your indoor air quality, or IAQ, helping you feel more comfortable when allergy season arrives.
5 Ways to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
- Change the filter in your home comfort system. Filters are made to keep dust, dirt, pollen and other particles out of the air that circulates for your home. However, they can get dirty over time, and it’s important to change them out regularly – more frequently if you’re running your home comfort system often.
- Consider the type of filter you’re using. Many people just use basic filters and that’s okay, unless you need advanced filtration. There are filters available that can pull out even the most microscopic particles that can cause allergies and distress.
- Look into advanced air cleaning. A whole-house air cleaner can help significantly reduce the amount of allergens in your home, like dust, dander, pollen, bacteria and mold. It works with your cooling and heating system to purify all the air in your home.
- Be mindful of humidity levels. If your home is too humid, it can encourage the growth of known allergens like mold and mildew. A whole-house dehumidifier is an easy way to make sure your home isn’t holding in too much moisture.
- Make sure your HVAC system is regularly maintained. Spring and fall maintenance is important for many reasons, but when it comes to air quality, making sure this equipment gets the annual cleaning it needs helps keep the air in your home cleaner and fresher.
How to Get the IAQ Products You Need
Fortunately, getting the IAQ products you need to make the air in your home fresher and cleaner is as easy as calling T.F. O’Brien. We can help you get the indoor air quality products you need, as well as make sure your home comfort system is well-maintained. Just give us a call at 516.488.1800 and we’ll be glad to assist you.