If you’ve been reading our articles for a while, you know that one thing we always tell our customers is that it’s important to change the filter in their HVAC system on a regular basis. No matter what the weather is, it’s likely that you’re either running your heating system or cooling system often and as a result, your filter is probably working hard to keep particles out of your furnace or air conditioner – and out of the air in your home.
But you might not know the actual benefits of changing your HVAC filter, or the different types of filters available. In this article, we’ll share five reasons why changing your filter regularly is important, the types of filters available, and how T.F. O’Brien can help. Keep reading to learn more!
Benefits of Changing Your HVAC Filter Regularly
When we talk about changing your filter on a “regular basis”, this generally means monthly when your system is operating frequently, or whenever the filter becomes dirty. Here are the top five reasons why you should consider changing your HVAC filter often:
- System Efficiency: A dirty filter makes it harder for your HVAC system to work, and that usually means it uses more energy to keep your home cool or warm. A clean filter allows the air to pass freely through the system, keeping your system efficient and helping you save money on utility costs.
- System Longevity: As we mentioned above, if your filter is dirty, your system needs to work harder to do its job. Over time, that can create additional wear and tear on your system. Not to mention, your HVAC system’s components will corrode faster – and that can take years off the life of your system.
- Improved Home Comfort: A clean filter allows the cooled or heated air to move throughout your home more effectively. When your HVAC system is working effectively and efficiently, it just stands to reason that you and your family will enjoy better comfort all throughout your home.
- Cleaner, Fresher Indoor Air: While the main purpose of an HVAC filter is to keep particulates out of your equipment, a dirty filter often means that the air in your home is not as clean as it should be. By changing the filter regularly, those particles will be trapped in the filter, and not in the air you breathe.
- Fewer Repairs: Regularly changing the filter in your HVAC system is one of the things you can do to help maintain your system, along with annual maintenance by a qualified professional. When your furnace and air conditioning system are properly maintained, they’ll be less likely to need costly repairs.
What types of filters are available for my HVAC system?
There are many different types of filters available for HVAC systems today, ranging from very simple paper filters to more advanced HEPA filters. It is very important to use the right type of filter for your system. Many people think that a filter with a high MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating is best for their HVAC system and home, but unfortunately, too high of a rating may tax your system and make it less efficient.
The best way to know what type of filter is best for your system is to either check the system manual for the recommended filter type or to ask your HVAC professional. Ultimately, the best choice for your heating and cooling equipment is to use the proper filter per manufacturer recommendations and to change it regularly.
Can T.F. O’Brien help with my filter needs?
Of course! At T.F. O’Brien, our skilled technicians are always able to help you choose the correct filter for your HVAC system and show you how to properly change it. And, we’re excited to announce that you can now order your filters directly from T.F. O’Brien. Our new filter shop carries a comprehensive range of filter types, so you can rest assured that you’ll be using the appropriate filter for your system.
If you have any questions about our filter shop or what type of filter you need, you can always contact us online or call us at 516.488.1800, and we will be more than happy to assist you.