The Energy Star program was formed in 1992 out of the combined resources of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy. Its mission is to improve the country’s energy efficiency and protect the environment by educating homeowners.
Wondering why you should choose Energy Star-certified equipment? Here are three good reasons:
1. Saving energy and helping the environment.
High-efficiency equipment has been proven to create more energy while consuming less. For instance, the Department of Energy estimates that the typical home air conditioner releases roughly 2 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere a year. A high-efficiency air conditioner can reduce this amount anywhere from 20 percent to 50 percent.
2. To bear the Energy Star label, equipment must meet a rigid set of standards.
The EPA has already done the homework on qualified equipment, so you don’t have to. Among Energy Star requirements:
- Equipment must offer the high level of performance and features consumers have come to expect, as well as increased efficiency.
- Equipment must be tested to verify the amount of fuel it consumes, compared to the amount of energy it produces.
- State-of-the-art technology has to be non-proprietary, readily available and usable by multiple manufacturers.
- Equipment must offer a return on the investment made to purchase it within an acceptable span of time. Savings can be recouped through reduced operating costs and utility bills.
- The qualification label must be easily located and understood by purchasers, to set qualified equipment apart from other models.
3. Energy Star equipment has earned the nation’s trust.
More than 80 percent of the nation’s population knows about qualified equipment, and over three-fourths of consumers say the label has a big impact on their decision when buying. In 2010 alone, U.S. homeowners bought more than 200 million qualified systems.
If you’re interested in saving energy and helping to sustain the environment with high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment, contact the professionals at T.F. O’Brien. We’re proud to offer state-of-the-art HVAC solutions to Long Island.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy savings, heating and cooling equipment upgrades and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.