Ah… cool, comfortable air conditioning. Nothing feels better than coming inside out of the sweltering heat and relaxing in an air-conditioned home. But, if your air conditioning system doesn’t seem to be working properly this summer, it can provide more aggravation than relaxation for you and your family. Sometimes, people put off calling their HVAC contractor because they’re not sure if it’s just too hot for their AC to work properly. We can assure you that if you’re not comfortable, you should go with your gut and give us a call.
There are a few ways that you can tell if your air conditioning system is getting ready for a breakdown. Fortunately, these often happen before it completely stops working – allowing you time to get in touch with us here at T.F. O’Brien and get an appointment scheduled as soon as possible. It’s important that you call us if you notice anything out of the ordinary with your system, so you won’t be stuck without AC during a heatwave!
Five Signs that Your Air Conditioning Needs Attention
If you’re feeling like your AC system just isn’t keeping you and your family as cool as you’d like this summer, these five indicators could be your air conditioner’s way of letting you know it needs some TLC from T.F. O’Brien:
- The dust is flying. If you’re seeing a lot more dust in your home than usual this summer, your system’s filter likely needs some attention. Fortunately, changing the filter is a pretty simple task that you can do yourself, and one that helps your AC run much more effectively and efficiently. Of course, if you’re not sure how to clean or change your filter, we’re always happy to help.
- Your system is noisy. Air conditioning systems usually make some noise when they operate. This is normal. But, if your system is making any noises out of the ordinary, or if you hear squeaks, pings, or grinding sounds, there’s likely a problem that needs a technician’s attention.
- Your home has hot and cold spots. If you have central air conditioning, consistent cooling throughout your home should be expected. However, if you’re noticing different temperatures throughout your home, there could be an issue with your home’s ductwork or your AC’s sizing. This is especially true if you’ve added living space to your home, such as additions or converted areas.
- Your energy bills are on the rise. Of course, your AC uses energy to operate, so some increase in your utility bills is normal. If your bills are unusually high, or if you’ve noted an unexplained increase, your system might be using more energy than it needs to – which indicates it could need a repair.
- Your home feels humid. One of the benefits of air conditioning is reducing the humidity in your home. If you’re still feeling sticky, even with the AC running, something probably isn’t working properly and you should give us a call to check your system out.
Getting ahead of a breakdown is as simple as noticing these signs and giving us a call.
Once your air conditioning breaks down completely, it can be a lot more difficult – and expensive – to repair than an underperforming system. So, it’s important to take heed of the signs that your system isn’t working quite as well as it should, and giving us a call in advance of a complete system failure. We’re always ready to help – your comfort is our top priority!
If you think your AC needs repair, give us a call at 516.488.1800, and we’ll gladly schedule an appointment with you.