Once October arrives, everyone’s thoughts seem to turn to sweets! From pumpkin spice everything to apple cider to the trick or treat candy we buy and vow we’re not going to open before Halloween night, tasty treats abound. A fall specialty that always brings back childhood memories is caramel corn. There was nothing like munching on a handful of this crunchy, yummy treat at a Halloween party – nothing said the holiday season had arrived quite like that sweet-salty goodness.
Sure, you can buy caramel corn in a bag or a can, but why not try making it yourself this year? We’re sharing a favorite recipe that’s easy to make – and offers a fresh, delicious flavor you won’t find in any store. Passed along to us from a family friend, we hope you try this recipe for yourself – enjoy!
Baked Caramel Corn
• 6 quarts popped popcorn (air popped is best; microwave popcorn won’t work)
• 1 cup butter
• 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
• ½ cup corn syrup (light or dark)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• Preheat oven to 250ºF.
• Spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray (like Pam).
• Pour popped popcorn into pan.
• In a heavy saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
• Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla.
• Pour the syrup mixture over the popcorn, stirring to thoroughly coat popcorn. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes.
• Remove from oven, let cool completely and break apart.
At T.F. O’Brien, we love making everything we do for you a treat – never a trick. You can count on us to provide you with honest, reliable HVAC services all year round. Just give us a call at 516-488-1800 and we’ll be happy to help you with any home comfort need you might have.